Edit this page on GitHub
Consul Enterprise features address the organizational complexities of collaboration, operations, scale, and governance. If you have purchased or wish to try out Consul Enterprise, refer to how to access Consul Enterprise.
The following features are available in several forms of Consul Enterprise.
- Admin Partitions: Define administrative boundaries between tenants within a single Consul datacenter
- Namespaces: Define resource boundaries within a single admin partition for further organizational flexibility
- Automated Backups: Configure the automatic backup of Consul state
- Redundancy Zones: Deploy backup voting Consul servers to efficiently improve Consul fault tolerance
- Read Replicas: Deploy non-voting Consul servers to enhance the scalability of read requests
- Automated Upgrades: Ease upgrades by automating the transition from existing to newly deployed Consul servers
- Consul-Terraform-Sync Enterprise: Leverage the enhanced network infrastructure automation capabilities of the enterprise version of Consul-Terraform-Sync
- Network Areas: Support complex network topologies between federated Consul datacenters with pairwise federation rather than full mesh federation
- Network Segments: Support complex network topologies within a Consul datacenter by enforcing boundaries in Consul client gossip traffic
- OIDC Auth Method: Manage user access to Consul through an OIDC identity provider instead of Consul ACL tokens directly
- Audit Logging: Understand Consul access and usage patterns by reviewing access to the Consul HTTP API
- Sentinel for KV: Policy-as-code framework for defining advanced key-value storage access control policies
The method of accessing Consul Enterprise and its features depends on the whether using HashiCorp Cloud Platform or self-managed Consul.
No action is required to access Consul Enterprise in a HashiCorp Cloud Platform installation.
You can try out HCP Consul for free. Refer to the HCP Consul product page for more details.
To access Consul Enterprise in a self-managed installation, apply a purchased license to the Consul Enterprise binary that grants access to the desired features.
You can also try out Consul Enterprise before purchasing by requesting a 30-day trial license.
Consul Enterprise is offered in several forms that provide a different mix of enterprise features. Choose the form that best suits the needs of your organization.
Available enterprise features per Consul form and license include:
|Feature||HashiCorp Cloud Platform (HCP) Consul||Consul Enterprise||Legacy Consul Enterprise (module-based)|
|Consul servers as a managed service||Yes||No (self-managed)||No (self-managed)|
|Admin Partitions||All tiers||Yes||With Governance and Policy module|
|Namespaces||All tiers||Yes||With Governance and Policy module|
|Automated Backups||All tiers||Yes||Yes|
|Redundancy Zones||Not applicable||Yes||With Global Visibility, Routing, and Scale module|
|Read Replicas||No||Yes||With Global Visibility, Routing, and Scale module|
|Automated Upgrades||All tiers||Yes||Yes|
|Consul-Terraform-Sync Enterprise||All tiers||Yes||Yes|
|Network Areas||No||Yes||With Global Visibility, Routing, and Scale module|
|Network Segments||No||Yes||With Global Visibility, Routing, and Scale module|
|OIDC Auth Method||No||Yes||Yes|
|Audit Logging||Standard tier and above||Yes||With Governance and Policy module|
|Sentinel for KV||All tiers||Yes||With Governance and Policy module|