Edit this page on GitHub
Terraform Plugin SDKv2
Maintain plugins built on the legacy SDK.
Terraform Plugin SDKv2 is a way to maintain Terraform Plugins on protocol version 5.
We recommend using the framework to develop new provider functionality because it offers significant advantages as compared to the SDKv2. We also recommend migrating existing providers to the framework when possible. Refer to Plugin Framework Benefits for higher level details about how the framework makes provider development easier and Plugin Framework Features for a detailed functionality comparison between the SDKv2 and the framework.
Maintain Existing Providers
- Try the Call APIs with Custom Providers tutorials.
- Clone the terraform-provider-scaffolding template repository on GitHub.
- Review the SDKv2 documentation for key concepts such as Schemas and Resources.
Debug and Test
- Learn how to debug your provider using either logging calls or a debugging tool.
- Write acceptance and unit tests for your provider.
Migrate, Combine, or Translate
- Use the framework migration guide to migrate existing providers from SDKv2 to the framework. You can use
terraform-plugin-muxto migrate individual resources and data sources slowly over time.
- Combine your provider with other protocol version 5 providers.
- Translate your provider into a protocol version 6 provider to require Terraform 1.0 and later or to combine with a framework provider and use protocol version 6 exclusive functionality such as nested attributes.