This document is intended to help users who find themselves many versions behind to upgrade safely.
Each upgrade should jump at most 2 major versions, except where dedicated instructions are provided for a larger jump between specific versions. If your upgrade path has no applicable dedicated instructions, review the version-specific upgrade details to plan your upgrade, starting from the next version and working upwards to your target version.
For example, to upgrade from Consul 1.12 to Consul 1.15:
- Upgrade to Consul 1.14 as an intermediate step. To plan, review the upgrade details for 1.13 and 1.14.
- Upgrade to Consul 1.15. To plan, review the upgrade details for 1.15.
The following table provides links to dedicated instructions for directly upgrading from a version in the starting range to a destination version.
|Starting Version Range||Destination Version||Upgrade Instructions|
|1.8.0 - 1.9.17||1.10.12||Refer to upgrading to latest 1.10.x|
|1.6.9 - 1.8.18||1.8.19||Refer to upgrading to latest 1.8.x|
|1.2.4 - 1.6.9||1.6.10||Refer to upgrading to latest 1.6.x|
|0.8.5 - 1.2.3||1.2.4||Refer to upgrading to latest 1.2.x|
For example, to upgrade from Consul 1.3.1 to latest 1.12:
- Upgrade to Consul 1.6.10 using the dedicated instructions.
- Upgrade to Consul 1.8.19 using the dedicated instructions.
- Upgrade to Consul 1.10.12 using the dedicated instructions.
- Upgrade to latest Consul 1.12.x after consulting the version-specific upgrade details for 1.11 and 1.12.