Use a template to deploy and manage an application
This page describes how to create an HCP Waypoint application using an application template. Application engineers often perform this task. Refer to Application templates for additional information.
HCP Waypoint application templates are common infrastructure patterns created and maintained by platform engineers. This ensures that any infrastructure provisioned using templates is compliant with your organization's policies for security, finance, scaling, and more. Application developers use these standardized templates to deploy their applications without worrying about the underlying infrastructure.
- An HCP Account. Refer to HCP Account for information about creating an account.
To create an application, complete the following steps:
- From the HCP Waypoint overview, go to the Applications menu.
- Click Create application, and then select Create application with template.
- Select the application template which suits the needs of your new application, and then click Next.
- Configure the settings for your new application, including the application name.
- Click Create application.
- On the next screen, the application overview page, monitor the status of the creation of the application infrastructure, and read through the developer instructions.
- After the application infrastructure is created, follow the developer instructions to complete the process of deploying your application.
Deleting an application will delete the Terraform Cloud workspace and resources associated with the application.
To delete an application, complete the following steps:
- From the HCP Waypoint overview, go to the Application menu.
- Select your application, then go to the Settings page.
- Click Manage, and select Destroy application.
DESTROY, and then click Destroy.
To learn more about what you can do with HCP Waypoint after you deployed an application using a template, refer to the following topics: