Configure Terraform Cloud integration
This page describes how to configure HCP Waypoint to interact with your Terraform Cloud organization. Platform engineers often perform this task.
HCP Waypoint application templates and add-on definitions both leverage Terraform Cloud no-code modules to deploy applications and their underlying infrastructure. As a result, you must provide HCP Waypoint with your Terraform Cloud organization name and team token so it can connect to Terraform Cloud.
When an application developer uses a template or installs an add-on, HCP Waypoint calls the Terraform Cloud API to create a new workspace and trigger a Terraform Cloud run. When an application developer destroys an application or uninstalls an add-on, HCP Waypoint triggers a destroy run and deletes the workspace from Terraform Cloud.
You must configure HCP Waypoint with Terraform Cloud before you can create or use an HCP Waypoint template or add-on.
- An HCP account with HCP Waypoint enabled. Refer to HCP Account for information about creating an account.
- A Terraform Cloud organization with Plus tier. Terraform Cloud must be Plus tier to use Terraform Cloud no-code modules and the private module registry.
- From the HCP Waypoint overview, go to the Settings menu.
- Enter in the name of the Terraform Cloud organization and the Terraform Cloud team token. The team token must have permissions to:
- Read modules from the private registry
- Create Terraform workspaces
- Create Terraform runs
- Click Save.
To learn more about what you can do with HCP Waypoint after you configure it to Terraform Cloud, refer to the following topics: